Support the Santa Barbara Historical Museum by making a contribution today.
Photo of Edwin and Carolyn Gledhill
The Gledhill Library was dedicated in
1967 to W. Edwin and Andriette Gledhill, who served for many years as the Society's Executive Director and Curator, respectively. The Gledhill Library is a research, non-circulating collection open to the public.
Collections focus on the history of Santa Barbara County with additional materials on California history and history of the American West. Holdings include books and pamphlets, photographs, maps, audio oral histories, newspaper files, clipping and ephemera files, manuscripts and government records.
The book catalog may be accessed at www.centralcoastmuseums.org, the website of the Central Coast Museum Consortium, as well as the catalogs of other museum libraries.
The library is open free of charge to Society members and to students. A research fee of $2.00 an hour, up to a cap of $5.00 a day is accessed to other patrons. Photocopy facilities are available.
Library acquisitions are governed under the Collections Policy of the Museum.
- Approximately 5100 books and pamphlets regarding the histories of Santa Barbara County, California, and the American West.
- Approximately 75,000 photographic prints, 10,000 glass plate negatives, and some 17,000 slides covering particularly the period 1870-1945.
- Newspapers, 35 mm film and hard copy, 1855-1986. This collection also includes over 170 clipping scrapbooks.
- Almost 500 oral history tapes dating back to the 1950s.
- Government records include census material, tax records, 19th-century court cases, voting registers. Forty microfilm reels of Spanish and Mexican records including land grant materials.
- Document records include over 360 linear feet of correspondence, personal papers, diaries, and business records.
- Over 3000 maps, most of which cover Santa Barbara city and South Coast